4 January 2012

Talk to Halifax Law Society: Trade Marks and Passing Off










I have been asked to talk about trade marks, passing off, geographical indications and the legal protection of brands generally to Halifax Law Society at the White Swan Hotel in Halifax on Tuesday, 20 March 2012 between 13:30 and 15:30.


My talk will cover the following topics:

  • Definitions: what is a brand and what is a trade mark;
  • Common law protection of brands;
  • Trade mark registration;
  • TRIPS, Paris and Madrid;
  • Trade mark directives;
  • Trade Marks Act 1994;
  • Community trade marks;
  • Registration in the Trade Mark Registry and at OHIM;
  • Objecting to a registration: third party observations, opposition, invalidity and revocation;
  • Infringement proceedings in the Chancery Division and the Patents County Court;
  • Passing off;
  • Geographical Indications;
  • Domain names; and
  • Company Names Tribunal.
For further information, my contact at Halifax Law Society is Carol Stevenson of Finn Gledhill on 01422 330000 or enquiries@finngledhill.co.uk but the Halifax Law Society blog also invites enquiries to David Swarbrick (@dslippy) at dwarb@gmail.com on 0795 457 9992. I am also happy to be contacted on  0113 320 3232 or through my contact form and I shall pass on any enquiries to Carol or David. 

Finally, I wish you all a happy New Year.